Short Term Scientific Missions (STSM) are exchange visits aimed at supporting individual mobility, strengthening existing networks and fostering collaboration between researchers. The aim of a STSM as defined by COST Vademecum is to contribute to the scientific objectives of a Cost Innovators’ Grant.
Applications should be submitted according the procedure detailed below:
Step 1: An eligible STSM applicant can submit a request for a STSM through the on-line registration tool at http://www.cost.eu/STSM
Applications should be submitted at least 1 month before the mission starts, to allow enough time for processing the request
Step 2: Formal STSM application and annexes
You are required to send by email the following documents to the Action MC Chair (+ Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com) :
- A letter of invitation from a senior researcher affiliated to the Host institution
- STSM application form
- A motivation letter including a work plan detailing the proposed activities
- A support letter / email from the Home Institution
- A full C.V. (including a list of academic publications – if applicable)
Step 3 – Assessment of the STSM
The MC Chair assessed your request
Step 4 – Approval from the MC Chair
The MC Chair informed the Grant Holder that the proposed STSM has been approved
Step 5– Notification letter from the Grant Holder
The Grant Holder sent you a formal Grant Notification letter
Step 6– Start of the Mission
After the reception of the Grant notification letter, you can start your mission
Note: all STSM activities must occur in their entirety within one Grant Period.
After the STSM
After completing your mission is required to submit the following list of documents to the Action MC Chair (+ Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com) for approval:
- A scientific report
- An official letter/ email from a senior researcher affiliated to the Host Institution formally accepting the scientific report
The STSM Grantee has 30 calendar days from the end date of the mission to submit the documents, the failure to do so will effectively cancel the grant.
Payment of the Grant is subject to the scientific report being approved by the CIG Chair. This formal acceptance of the scientific report has to be sent to the Grant Holder for archiving purposes.
Further information and rules
Applicants are strongly encouraged to read the detailed information provided by COST.
- Full details on COST Vademecum – Short Term Scientific Missions (STSM) section 7. Please read the COST Vademecum carefully!
- In addition, for further information we recommended to visit the COST website: Short Term Scientific Missions